Ripples

Create.Communicate.Educate.Evolve.Learn.Lead

By

It Has Become Complicated

After more than 25 years as a teacher, I am finally realizing my dream of being a 3rd-grade teacher. So, one of my first thoughts was to build my classroom library. I wanted to create a diverse, relevant library with many genres of literature and many nonfiction topics. I received many donations from my fellow teachers. I asked my school librarian for any pointers and she was very helpful and also gave me some websites and booklists. I also reached out to our district literacy and diversity staff. My next stop was to check with my PLN on Twitter as well as a few of my known sources such as Donalyn Miller, Pernille Ripp, and Jerry Blumengarten. This journey lead me to these sites:

Ready-To-Go: Favorites, Grade 3

NCTE Statement on Classroom Libraries

Creating a Diverse Classroom Library-Edutopia

ASCD-Creating a Classroom Library Together

15 Diverse Books for Kids to Include In Your Classroom Library

Checklist: 8 Steps to Creating a Diverse Book Collection

It’s Not Complicated

and then I ran smack dab into this:

“King & King”— and Teacher Who Read It—Under Fire In North Carolina

So now before I spend any more time and possibly some money on my classroom library I need guidance.

I’m wondering if my school board has any current policies that I might run afoul of in my endeavor to provide opportunities for my learners to increase the breadth and volume of their reading lives?